Seed Storage

All info regarding pollinating, germinating and growing cycads to be listed here.

Seed Storage

Postby PieterVi on Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:58 pm

Getting beautiful big plants is a process of pollinating, germinating and nurturing our plants. I (think) I’m doing reasonably okay with the germination and nurturing parts. What i do need help with is the bit between pollinating and germinating.

How do a successfully store my seed for the approximately 6 months before they are ready for the germination process?

Regards,
Pieter
PieterVi

Re: Seed Storage

Postby Mr Cycad on Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:12 am

In baggies or buckets filled with peat moss.
Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!
Mr Cycad

Location: In the Rainforest - Far North Queensland, Australia

Postby PieterVi on Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:37 pm

Thanks for the comments. I never really understood the moister factor as it can lead to fungi if they are constantly kept moist. The opposite is that I also don’t want them to dry out and become useless.

I’ll try the onion bags and once a month soaks them overnight in water. Do you guys reckon this will be sufficient?
PieterVi

Postby PieterVi on Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:28 pm

Thanks Louis, that sounds simple enough.
PieterVi

Postby Mr Cycad on Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:10 am

Maybe I should of added in my previous post that you want the peat moss damp, but not soaked - if you squeeze it and water comes out its too moist.
All said, I have previously kept my seeds just in bags and boxes stored away and then just checked and rehydrated fortnightly - the peat in buckets is way less labour intensive. Happy growing.
Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!
Mr Cycad

Location: In the Rainforest - Far North Queensland, Australia

Postby PieterVi on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:24 am

Thanks!, I have dunked them in the Funginex solution today.

I have germinated a handful of Paucidentatus, Natalensis, Piet Retiefi's, and some Revoluta's. Probably 10 or so of each and about 25 of the Revoluta's. I still have a few of the Piet Retiefi’s and a whole stack of the Revoluta’s that must germinate... they are a little stubborn I think!

I'm also going up to Jhb to visit the family over xmas. I'm thinking of buying some seed to play around with in the new year. On the other hand, I have enough small seedlings and actually need bigger plants for my new house... sssshhhhhh, don't let my wife hear! I'll just tell her it's some of my babies that grew into beautiful big plants.

Regards,
Pieter
PieterVi

Return to Growing