Replanting time frames

All info regarding planting and placing conditions of cycads to be listed here.

Replanting time frames

Postby jalu6472 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:27 pm

Hi everyone, I would like to get some opinions on this if possible.

What's your take on how much replanting sets a plant back.

As far as I can see the first year after replanting the plant is much more reluctant to grow and push new leaves than the year folling that. I'm not talking about taking the plant out of open-soil and replanting it, merely removing it from a pot or nursery bag and replanting in into a bigger pot.

Is this due to the fact that it wants to develop a better route structure as it "feels" the potential for growth or merele due to shock?

Is my findings correct if I say that basically the second year after replanting things get back to normal again or improve?

Thanks guys.
jalu6472

Re: Replanting time frames

Postby Mr Cycad on Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:21 am

Hi Jaco.

Since you're not talking transplanting or moving and asking about 'potting on', my opinion is that there is no such setting back in my experience so far. If anything, generally most of the time when I’m potting on, I get a new flush after a month or two... obviously care needs to be taken with roots etc.

What size are you potting up from? This will help clarify an answer.

I plant everything straight into long avocado bags now and everything seems to power. Don’t even bother with shallow pots. If you feed constantly with a liquid seaweed (fortnightly) plus a good slow release high nitrogen fertiliser, use mycorrhizae and the pH is right I can’t see how a plant could be set back?
Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!
Mr Cycad

Location: In the Rainforest - Far North Queensland, Australia

Re: Replanting time frames

Postby jalu6472 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:05 am

Thanks for the response - it might just be my imagination :D

Well mostly I'm referring to seedlings - sizes 4 - 10cm planted in pots approx depth of 40cm.

I also take great care in removing the plant from it's original pot / bag.
jalu6472

Return to Planting