My cycad collection

Share all your cycad and garden photos here

Re: My cycad collection

Postby Louis on Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:22 am

Thank you Darsin! :) I hope the forum will be a success!

Your plants are really amazing!! It is easy to become addicted to these plants, once you understand the story behind them. They are the oldest living fossils - which means they are the oldest organisms on earth which genetics haven't changed in any way. For the people who believe in the evolution-theory, it does not apply to cycads. They have survived the ice age, the age of dinosaurs who actually fed on cycads, and many other challenges for more than 300-million years. It really is amazing once you really start thinking about it. It is an exclusive hobby and you should be proud of yourself for having such plants. If someone takes care of them, they will still be here for many many generations!! Some plants are more than 800 years old today, so 10 generations from now in the year 2810, the kids might say: "If it wasn't for uncle Darsin, we wouldn't even have these plants around". :lol: Think about it mate!!

Can't wait to see your new pics!! 8-)
Louis
Louis

Postby jalu6472 on Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:49 pm

Thanks a lot for joining and posting some pics Darsin. You really have a ot of plants to envy!! Those Hirsitus are just amazing!!! Hope you get your McD soon. WIll be amazing to see it!!
jalu6472

Postby Louis on Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:11 am

:o :o Woweeee!!! Many congrats Darsin!! Your plants are always picture-perfect!! I'm really happy for you my friend. Your collection is coming along BEAUTIFULLY!!!!!
Louis

Postby jalu6472 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:32 am

Congratulations Darsin, some rare and beautiful additions to your already amazing family!!! :D :D The Heenanii and Mariepskop is defenitely also on my wishlist for the future :) :)
jalu6472

Postby Louis on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:36 pm

*lol* Darsin, if I had such beautiful plants, I would definitely show off!!! :lol: :lol:
Louis

Postby jalu6472 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:34 pm

Not at all my friend, I know you well and bragging will be the last thing you would do.

Just some food for thaught, my Ghelinkii didn't flush for over two years. I decided to cut off all the leaves last year which also didn't help :( :( I then decided to take a chance and burn it a little about two months back... I didn't have any dried ou grass so I took some newspaper and placed it around the codex. Good news - 2 new leaves starting to emerge - I'll post some pics in a week or so :D
jalu6472

Postby vitkiktiv on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:40 pm

:mrgreen: is my emotion towards your E. delucanus I live on the same continent and have only seen them in pictures ! don't know many international collectors, but your Encephalartos collection is more compleate than most people that i know personally, impressive for an Ausie :P
"It's 4:20 somewhere."
vitkiktiv

Postby Louis on Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:12 am

*lol* maybe give it a bit of a nitrogen boost Darsin :) Humilis is a VERY patient specie!! It usually waits for the last flush to die off completely before producing a new one. I gave up on my Humilis for quite a while and eventually it surprised me with a new flush! :) It's one of those plants that you must just leave alone to do its thing. Just make sure there's no damage to the roots, etc, and then.....just.....wait...*lol*
Louis

Postby jalu6472 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:23 am

Fully agreed Louis. I know of some people who have burnt their Ghelinkii's and humulis for years now - I have been to "scared" to try it but eventually decided this year is the year I'm going to try it with this plant. I wouldn't burn it again if I were you, rather feed it. Some species are just more susceptible to veldt fires than others so I wouldn't just set any species alight. Just my feeling. Another thing I’m trying is using the ashes from a BBQ and working it into the soil, it also seems to be working quite well.
jalu6472

Postby jalu6472 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:06 am

Intiresting stuff my friend. I'm also contemplating getting one but apparenlty they are very sluggish to prow and push new leaves. How would you say your E. Laefi Mariepskop compares to Humulis i.t.v grow rate?

Here's my Montance Ghelinkki - after not flushing for 2 years and I decided to burn it a little.

jalu6472

Next

Return to My Cycad Photos