Encephalartos leave varians knowledge

All info regarding the Genus: Encephalartos to be listed here.

Re: Encephalartos leave varians knowledge

Postby Gary on Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:08 am

i think in alot of cases the variant is uncalled for as species is more about cone detail.I think you could find differences in any 2 plants even if from the same complex.Area forms do produce different plants at times but then again it couldbe soil /rainfall/general growing conditions.Some say the dwarf horridus is growing conditions and if treated same as normal in cultivation will end up as a normal horridus.There is so much hybridising in the likes of natalensis in cultivation i doubt you could really pin down your form unless from habitat seed.Look at the mozambique plants-some say they are critical endangered and others say there are plenty and some say a plant is a manikensis yet others say pterogonus or chimamimaniensis.Leave detail will not sort it out but cones will more likely
Gary

Postby Gary on Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:51 am

here opinions again -if ur talking robustus is it a sucker or seedling as i have heard only plants found were females so if seedling or small plant seed grown then u may have a hybrid which can have traits of either parent.I have 6 of these seedlings at 2 leaf stage and the dont look identical.They have edge leaflet spines but some seedlings are blue and others green grey and they vary in leaflet shape.Growing conditions will alter appearance like for you with more heat will get bluer looking leaves than me and faster growth and possibly u will have shorter leafs as our climates are very different..You willbe able to say u have a nubimontanus but beyond that maybe a guess.
Gary

Postby Gary on Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:33 am

if u just want garden plants than are pleasing on the eye then you buy whatever you like but if u want to do some seed producing further down the line then true to species is a good idea
Gary

Return to Encephalartos